In real life, we don’t get trophies for merely participating. There are winners and losers, and we all desire to be the winners. However, there are several things we need to do to get there.
James Franklin, the Head Football coach of Penn State in 2018, lost a close game to Ohio State. Here is a short video clip from his interview after the game where he outlines how their team will go from being a great football team to an elite football team.
We all can apply this analogy to our everyday lives, which then could translate into our business performance. We have to get out of our comfort zone, get uncomfortable and zero in on doing the essential things consistently. This is where growth occurs.
Here are a few action steps if done consistently, will help us get from a great to an elite level of performance:
- A consistent early morning routine – This is where we get our momentum for the day.
- Exercise, adequate sleep, and eating healthy food – Without good health, we can’t enjoy what we’re working so hard to achieve.
- Identify daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly goals and review them frequently
- Pursue personal growth through reading and listening to podcasts – Learning is a requirement for improving.
- Focus on serving others and living for something greater than ourselves – This is where we can leave a lasting legacy.
We all want to be successful in our business, but first, we have to do the uncomfortable things in our personal lives to get there, and our business success will follow.
It is within our reach to perform at an elite level, which is different for everyone given our own unique God-given talents, but we have to get out of our comfort zone to make it happen.
As James Franklin said, doing all the little things consistently is what matters. We only grow in life when we’re uncomfortable.