I have been in the real estate financing business for over 30 years, and subsequently have helped hundreds of investors finance over a billion dollars in real estate.
There are qualities I have observed throughout my career in people who experience continued success and happiness.
The success I am referring to is the ongoing, long-term success, not the one-time, project achievement. Real success is intertwined with happiness, both personally and professionally.
Successful real estate investors come in all kinds of personality types, but what I have learned is that the most successful investors live out these six traits:
- Is the ability to use imagination and wisdom to see what could be, and the foresight to anticipate unforeseen obstacles.
- Is the ability to take action quickly, taking a calculated risk, and make an intelligent decision when one doesn’t have all the facts.
- Is not giving up easily but being persistent with purpose in striving to achieve a goal.
4. Emotional intelligence:
- Is the ability to have self-awareness, social awareness, empathy, relational ability and self-management. Relating to people with empathy, humility, and self-awareness will give you more favor and influence than most anything else you could do. If you want to learn more about emotional intelligence, listen to John Maxwell’s podcasts – click these links:, Part 1 & Part 2.
- Is having confidence in yourself, hope, and belief of a successful outcome in the future, i.e., someone who consistently looks at the glass half full.
- Is a mindset of dedication to a cause. The ability to endure the obstacles and challenges that a real estate investor faces achieving the end goal, i.e., enduring the permitting and government approval process, etc.
These are not the only traits of a successful real estate investor or entrepreneur, but I’ve condensed down what I have learned throughout my career into these six attributes that I believe are game-changers for success and happiness. Investors who consistently live out these traits both personally and professionally find the most success.
By applying these six attributes consistently can change the trajectory of your life and what you can achieve.
My passion is to help investors achieve their financial goals. If you are a real estate investor looking for financing or an investor looking to invest as a passive investor in a real estate mortgage fund like Fidelis Private Fund, call me to see how I can help you.
Which trait is your biggest strength, and how have you used it to be successful?